Monday, February 22, 2010

A Refuge in A Scary Place

Psalm 71:1-14


In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame.
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go;
give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.
Deliver me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of evil and cruel men.
For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.
From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb.
I will ever praise you. I have become like a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.
Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.
For my enemies speak against me; those who wait to kill me conspire together.
They say, "God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him,
for no one will rescue him." Be not far from me, O God; come quickly, O my God, to help me.
May my accusers perish in shame; may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace.
But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.

Key Verses:   In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame.
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me.
But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.

A Refuge in A Scary Place

The world is a scary place most of the time. I have friends just this week who are grieving the loss of a 3 month old baby, suffering from injuries in a terrible car wreck and waiting by the hospital bed of their 11 year old son to hear good news that he will recover.   Everyone needs a place of refuge and hope. The key verses from Psalms remind us that the Lord is our refuge and to remember that we always have hope.

Prayer: Praise to you, our Lord, for a place of refuge in a scary world. Thank you for giving us hope.

Beth Ann Higgs, founding member and Church webmaster

No comments: