Sunday, February 28, 2010

Stand Up and Keep Going

Read Luke 13: 31-35


Stand Up and Keep Going

31At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, "Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you."

32He replied, "Go tell that fox, 'I will drive out demons and heal people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.' 33In any case, I must keep going today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!

34"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! 35Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'

Jesus must have felt the need to complete the tasks God had laid out before him. He knew his time was short, with many things to complete before the end. He told those who were trying to make him leave that he had to keep going, and was not going to be intimidated by threats from Herod.

What about us today? Are we intimidated by people who want to keep us quiet when we speak of Jesus and the salvation offered to us? Do we tell them we have to keep going, that we have a goal to complete? Or, do we quiet down, and let the crowd speak for us, and slink off and complain that we weren’t allowed to tell our story. We have to stand up and keep going, today, and tomorrow and the next day, so we can be included with those who are blessed as Christians who come and speak and act in the name of the Lord.
Prayer: Lord, keep me strong in your name, so I may tell your story through my thoughts and actions. Amen
Carol Ruth DeVore, Charter Affiliate Member COR

No comments: