Monday, December 04, 2006

Advent, a Time of Hope

Psalm 25: 1-7 I offer you my heart, Lord God, and I trust you. Don’t make me ashamed or let enemies defeat me. Don’t disappoint any of your worshipers, but disappoint all deceitful liars. Show me your paths and teach me to follow; guide me by your truth and instruct me. You keep me safe, and I always trust you. Please, Lord, remember, you have always been patient and kind. Forget each wrong I did when I was young. Show how truly kind you are and remember me.

It is easy to open one’s heart to God when times are good. It is not hard to trust in God when all is well. But unfortunately, we all face difficult times. And whether our difficulties involve the enemy of addiction, a difficult neighbor or coworker, or a warring nation, it seems to be human nature to pray to God, as David did, that our enemies not defeat us.

What are we asking when we ask that our enemies not defeat us? What was David asking? The simplest answer is that, of course, we hope our enemies will fail and be defeated themselves. But perhaps David was asking instead for strength to prevail against his enemies, whatever may happen to them. Addiction can never truly be defeated, but many have, with God’s help, prevailed against it. Difficulties with neighbors or coworkers can be resolved. And even the longest war eventually ends, although it can be impossible to say who is the winner after years of death and destruction.

And once we have prevailed, our hearts are open. We trust in the goodness of God. But during the journey, how many of us can truly say we struggle through without doubt? When it seems that no one is on our side, when circumstances are at their most difficult, that is when it is most important to have hope, to trust in God that we will prevail. To believe that God will see us through.

When we have hope, we will not be disappointed. When we believe, we will see God’s paths and be guided by truth.

As we enter the season of Advent, it is appropriate to remember that it is the season of hope. Hope in a little child. Hope that a new life, which humbly begins in manger, will change the world.

Open your heart. Trust in God. Hang on to hope. Hope in recovery. Hope in others. Hope in peace.

Thought for the Day: What is your hope for your life in the coming year?

Prayer Focus: Those who feel they are alone and without hope.

Marti Slay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Marti!