Thursday, December 21, 2006

God Calls to each of Us

Read Luke 3:1-6
“The word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins;”
-Luke 3:2a-3 (KJV)

I can imagine John with his wilderness clothes and hair walking up and down both sides of the Jordan River calling everyone to repentance. It reminds me of the strange men I used to see standing on street corners, holding signs that said “REPENT”. I would avoid them. That word “repent” made me feel guilty, sinful, and condemned.

I began to read, study, and meditate on The Word of God. Through The Word God calls us to Himself. I wanted to come to Him but I was not clean enough, holy enough. Sick of sin, guilt, trying and failing to be good, I called out to God to “Show me how to come to you through Jesus. I don’t know how.” I didn’t know I was “repenting” (turning towards God and away from sin).
Jesus came to me. He had been waiting for me. He welcomed me with open arms, full of grace and love. I touched His wounds and knew He had died even for me. I asked Him to forgive me. My tears and sobbing would not stop, but holy tears are a balm from God that heals, cleanses, and changes.

Sharon Parsons

PRAYER: O God, help us find a way out of the wilderness by turning to You and following Jesus. Thank You for never giving up on us. Amen

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: When we turn to God, He will not leave us as we were. But we will never want to be the same again.

PRAYER FOCUS: Each of my brothers and sisters at Reconciler

No comments: