Monday, December 18, 2006

Fear, Guilt, and Healing

Read Zeph. 3:14-20
Verse 17 b: “He will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love…”

When I was diagnosed with cancer, I immediately wondered if the cause of the cancer was something I had done. Did I neglect my health? Did I abuse my body? Was it caused by some stress that I lived under? Was I being punished for some sin I had committed?

Treatment was radiation, chemotherapy, surgery and prayer. Friends and relatives submitted my name to prayer groups. I was amazed to receive cards and letters from various prayer groups around the country in the mail with signatures of people I had never known and people I would not know. These people requested of God that I be healed.

Amazingly, surgery determined that the tumor had totally disappeared. Had it been shrunk to nothingness by radiation or totally dissolved by chemotherapy? Had it disappeared through the miracle of prayer? I do not know. Perhaps all of these are the avenues through which God heals us. The surgeon did say to me that it is a rare phenomena for the tumor to disappear before surgery. Isn’t that what a miracle is: phenomena?

Prayer: Lord, Quiet our minds when we are fearful. Forgive our sins when we are guilty and hear our words of rejoicing and gratitude when we are healed. Amen

Thought for the Day: The Lord your God will…delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Everything will be OK.

Prayer Focus: Encouragement to those who are fearful, who are guilty and who need to be healed.

Kay Phillips

No comments: