Friday, March 26, 2010

The Betrayal of Jesus

Read: Matt 26: 14 - 27, 66


The Betrayal of Jesus

Have you ever been betrayed by someone close to you; your parents, brothers, sisters, other family members, spouse, or any other person important to you? Jesus was betrayed by his disciples. First there was Judas, then Peter’s denial, and Judas identifying Jesus with a kiss on the cheek. These disciples were chosen to fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would die to pay for our sins. By his grace we are set free from our wrongdoings.

When I look back at my life, it seems as if most of the people who were the closest to me have betrayed me. Each time this occurred, the pain and suffering I felt was pretty awful. But each time, I was reminded that my faith is in God. He is the one who is always there for me. In times of great suffering, he is walking beside me. It doesn’t mean that I will not have pain and suffering, but I know that he will walk with me. At times, I have felt him as he carried me because I was too weak to walk.

Just as Jesus asked our Father in heaven, “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing.” So should we forgive those who have hurt us. But that’s is not all. There is more that we should do and I was reminded of this by one of the folks I met at the Reconciler. He told me that I should ask that person for forgiveness. Now, I realize that sounds backwards. Why should I ask this person who hurt me for forgiveness. Why should I pray for blessings on them? Just try it. It can change your life. It may or may not change the life of the person who hurt you, but it can change your attitude about how you go through your life.
TODAY: Just think about someone who hurt you. Pray for God to bless them and bring all good things to them. Do this for fourteen days. It can change your life. Forgive them just as our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ asked that God forgive the people who betrayed him.
Gay Blalock

No comments: